Being a pet owner, it is normal to get embarrassed of the smelly smells in your home due to your pets.
But no more worrying, ELiX is here to save the day and help you with a fresh smelling home with dogs!
There are a number of reasons why your house might smell unpleasant due to your pet. But all these reasons have solutions that work wonders to keep your house free from any unpleasant odors and smelling fresh.
With ELiX air fresheners and a few easy and quick tips, you can say goodbye to the off smelling odors your pets leave behind and say Hello to a fresh smelling home!
In this blog we will offer some easy and quick tips so that you can remove all the bad smells in your home and keep your house smelling pleasant even with pets around.
So let's take a detailed look at the do's and don'ts for an aromatic home!
Maintain a Regular Routine For Keeping Your Home Clean
I know it seems pretty obvious when you hear someone say "Keep your home clean." but it is one of the best, cheapest and simplest ways to prevent pet odor from settling in the furniture and every nook and cranny of your home.
It is as simple as setting a routine to clean your home and sticking to it. This includes mopping, laundry, vacuuming as well as dusting. You need to vacuum all your curtains, mats, rugs, carpets, etc at least thrice each week in order to remove all the pet hair from the fabric.
Sweep and mop hardwood floors at least once each day. You can also hire or rent a professional cleaner every couple of months for proper in depth cleaning of the carpets.
Nothing holds odors longer than fabric. The best way to clean fabric is to keep it clean in the first place.
Here are a few tips to keep the fabric from smelling bad:
- Avoid getting your pet on the furniture especially if they are wet. It is common knowledge that dogs love to rub down after a bath which is why you should avoid letting them in a carpeted room or on the furniture until they have dried off completely.
- If you have just come back from a walk and your pets paws are dirty and wet, clean them with a dry towel before letting them enter the house, you can even use a blowdryer to make sure they are all clean and dry.
- Invest in a vacuum cleaning device with a detachable filter and clean the filter after each use. Also keep in mind to keep extra supplies of filters in the house so that whenever you need one you have access to it.
- Vacuum carpets, couches, rugs, etc at least a couple of times each week and remember to vacuum under the cushions as well.
- If you do allow your furry friends on the furniture, try to use a slipcover that is washable. This helps keep hair and dirt off of the furniture.
- If you have just brought home a new puppy, accidents are prone to happen. This is where our 'Oops Dog Urine Odour Eliminator' comes into play! Remove the waste quickly and spray the Urine Odour Eliminator onto the spot where the accident occurred. This helps stop the odor from setting in.
Here are some fresh smelling house hacks:
- Pet odors are known to seep deep into your furniture. One of the simplest and cheapest ways to eliminate these odors is a DIY method. Freshen up your furniture from pet smells simply by making a disinfectant spray out of apple cider vinegar and baking soda.
- What you need to do is remove all the slipcovers, pillows and cushion covers and wash it in a mixture of one fourth cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with some laundry detergent. Vinegar acts as an agent to remove bad odor. Then sprinkle some baking soda onto the carpets, your bed and furniture and let it sit overnight, doing this allows you to help the baking soda get absorbed and then vacuum the furniture in the morning.
- Also keep in mind that cleaning your pet accessories such as the pet's bed, leash, clothes, toys, etc on a weekly basis. This will help remove all those pesky pet smells and you can even use the baking soda + vinegar DIY for better results.
- Baking soda is a natural odor remover and can help remove odors from carpets, bed linens as well as furniture. Using vinegar or ammonia with baking soda ensures that you are able to remove and neutralize foul smells effectively.
- Any time you use a cleaning agent remember to keep your pet at a safe distance. Even household ingredients such as baking soda can prove to be toxic to your dear furry friends.
Cleaning in Case an Accident Occurs
If your puppy or senior pup has had an accident, use newspapers or a paper towel to soak up the urine. If possible you can use an old rug or piece of cloth under the rug to soak up better. Odors tend to linger for longer periods of time in rugs and carpets if left as it is. Here are a few tips to remove odors from accidents:
- Using a Dry Carpet Cleaner:
If you have just bought a new carpet, it may not be a good idea to spray vinegar or baking soda on it. In such cases it is a smart option to go for a dry carpet cleaner.
It is available in the market and has a texture like saw-dust and has a granular consistency that works wonders to help absorb liquid spills, stains and odors from your carpet fibers.
Since it has a dry texture instead of a wet one, you don't have to worry about mopping it up from the floor and once it has done its work, all you have to do is vacuum the area once.
Try to go for a carpet cleaner that is safe for multiple kinds of fiber such as sisal, wool, etc.
- Using Neutralizers for the Odour:
Once the urine has been soaked up as much as possible, use a high quality odor neutralizer like ELiX's PET NEUTRALIZER IN SPRAY.
Keeping the Windows Open for Proper Ventilation:
Keeping the windows open to facilitate ventilation is literally one of the simplest and cheapest ways to keep your house free from any unpleasant odors.
You can also turn on your ceiling fan to circulate air better throughout the house.
Using an Air Purifier:
Keeping the windows open is not always a good idea, and it can turn out to be problematic as it allows for insects to come into the house and it is even worse if you have some outdoor allergies.
If you cannot keep your windows open for some reason, it can be difficult for odors and unpleasant smells to leave your home.
To solve this issue, it is a better and healthier option to invest in a good quality air purifier. This air purifier will mitigate the allergens and dust entering your home making it a more enjoyable living situation.
Keep in mind that you will be required to change the filter of the air purifier every couple of months for optimal performance.
Having a Regular Routine For Keeping Your Pet Clean
It sounds obvious, but how often do you clean the paws of your pet each time they come back from an outside stroll?
Probably not very often.
It is time to get into the habit of cleaning the paws of your pet each time they come back inside from an outdoor setting. Once you start doing this, you will surely notice a huge difference in the look and smell of your furniture and floor. It affects the overall odor of your home as well.
You need to groom your pets regularly. Brushing the coat of your pet at least once every couple of days is a must. It helps remove any dust and loose hair from the coat.
When it comes to bathing your pet, you must consult with your veterinarian as to how often you should bathe and brush your pet's teeth.
You can also use grooming wipes that help elevate any unpleasant odor from your pet.
Teeth cleaning treats are also a good option instead of manually brushing your pets' teeth if they are fussy.
Use Air Fresheners or Pet Deodorizers
With ELiX's range of deodorizers and air fresheners you can be free from any stress as to how to make your home smell good. Our air fresheners are made from natural materials that do not irritate or harm your furry friends and work wonders to eliminate any unpleasant smells from your home.
If somehow, despite taking all possible preventive measures, you can still smell your pets on your furniture, follow the following steps:
- When washing rugs, curtains, cushion covers, carpets, etc, remember to follow any manufacturer instructions if any. Wash everything that is washable in your home.
- Vacuum your home thoroughly. Every room, every nook and cranny.
- Air your cushions frequently. Take the cushions and pillows outside and let them bask in the sun. This helps as a natural disinfectant and allows any unpleasant odors to leave the fabric.
- Use a pet odor neutralizer such as ELiX's 'Oops odor eliminator'.
- If nothing works, go for a professional cleaner.
Why Choose ELiX for Your Pet Odour Elimination Needs?
- ELiX offers one of a kind company air fresheners and odor removers that make your home fragrant consistently with an ability to match any room with its luxurious scents.
- As top notch room freshener manufacturers, our formula is a one of a kind effective remedy that will discourage your pet from urinating in areas that have been sprayed with the Urine Odor Eliminator.
- Long lasting and consistent fragrance for more than 2 months
- The liquid removes unpleasant odors left by pets on upholstery, floors, carpets, blankets, stairs and even the terrace.
- Hypoallergenic scent technology, safe for your children, pets & your home
- Our pet odor eliminator air freshener neutralizes unpleasant odors of organic origin, e.g. from vomit, feces, urine, etc.
Remember prevention is the major ingredient to keep your home smelling fresh and pleasant. But in case accidents occur, we at ELiX as your air fragrance suppliers, provide you with the right tools needed to eliminate the bad smell right away.
Choose ELiX today!